Jan 18, 2020

Reading Profile

I love books!  I would have to say reading is my favorite pastime.  No matter how tired I am or how late it is, I have to rad a few pages before bed.  Several times the novel has been so engrossing that I'm up for the the rest of the night (even knowing I have to go to work the next day).  A few years ago I joined the GoodReads challenge.  In 2018, my goal was 75 books and I passes it with 94; last year my goal was 75 again, and I passed it with 85.  This year my goal is 85 books.

My all time favorite author would have to be Jane Austin.  I have reread her novels numerous times and have seen many of the movie/min-series adaptations.  Along with Jane Austin, I love reading anything from the 'classics' section (if it's still called that).  I started reading these back in middle school when we were assigned them in English class.  During the summer months, I would read other novels by the same authors I had read that school year.  I have always considered 'The Classics' as a genre, but as Saricks and Wyatt state in the introduction of the textbook, "A genre can stand alone, can be part of a larger appeal matrix, and can be blended with another genre, which expands its appeal even wider.  The advantage to considering the larger appeal of genres is that it provides a broader perspective" (page xix).

I also enjoy reading historical fiction and historical romance.  I have always loved history as a subject (my undergrad major), so period novels dealing with historical references are my go to when I'm not in the mood for actual history.  However, I will research the actual time period I just finished reading about.  I particularly like to read about the Subcontinent (Pakistan, Afghanistan, India), and anything pertaining to the Ottoman Empire.

A new genre that has recently piqued my interest are novels by Muslim authors.  Currently these are mainly YA novels, but many are children's books.  I make it a point to read the children's books my public library has and post reviews on GoodReads.  I have read a few of the YA novels to try to understand the author's perspective and stay in touch with today's youth as I have two teenage boys, a tween son, and an older daughter.  I know my kids and I would have loved reading books by Muslim authors growing up.  It would have allowed us to see ourselves in these novels and have someone or similar topics to relate to.

Once in a while, I'll venture into other genres.  If I know an upcoming movie I want to see is based on a book, I'll read it before the movie comes out.  A few have been Gone Girl, Time Traveler's Wife, The Hunger Games series, Little Women, Anne of Green Gables, and of course, the Jane Austen adaptations.  When the latest adaptation of A Wrinkle of Time came out, my son and I had just finished the book.  I make it a point to read the novels my kids are reading for school.  This is a way I can keep up today's (sometimes) interests and its a great way to bond and have discussions with them.



References:

Saricks, J. G., & Wyatt, N. (2019). The Readers Advisory Guide to Genre Fiction: Third Edition. Chicago, IL: American Library Association.

13 comments:

  1. Hi Sobia,

    I recently read Ayesha at Last by Uzma Jalaluddin, and really enjoyed it. Have you read it yet?

    I homeschooled both of my daughters from preschool through high school, and always found that historical fiction was the best way to really cement any historical learning we were doing. I have read lots of historical fiction about Medieval England, but not necessarily in a chronological fashion. One of my life goals is to start at about the year 1066 and read really good historical fiction about Britain, chronologically, up to the modern era, to improve my understanding of British history.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim,

      Ayesha at Last has been on my "to read" list since it came out. There are so many on the list, I don't know where to start. As I finish one, another two replace it. There's just not enough time in the day to read all the books.

      I also love to read about Medieval England. I watched White Queen and White Princess, and am now waiting for the Spanish Princess to restart. These rekindled my interest in that time era. I haven't read the books that these were based off yet.

      When you find that good book you mentioned above, let me know. I'd love to put it on my "to read" list.

      Delete
  2. Hi!
    I homeschooled my 3 children and I always challenged them to read the book first when we watched movies together. We had fun reading and discussing books that Disney had adapted into movies and then comparing and contrasting the two. I find for myself, I may read the book and never get around to the movie.I found that patrons sometimes have no idea there was a book and sometimes are interested in the book too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda,
      I've always had my kids read the books first then watch the movie. My 3 older kids had enough time between the Harry Potter books and movies to enjoy both. My youngest read a book then watched the movie right after. He has a different opinion on the movies than his siblings.

      Delete
  3. Hi Sobia!

    I love reading books right before the movie comes out! It's exciting to see the story play out while it's still fresh in your mind :) I can be such an indecisive person when it comes to picking a new book. It's much easier to choose when I know there's going to be a movie adaptation.

    I too am a huge Jane Austen fan! Pride and Prejudice and Sense and Sensibility are my favorites of hers. A friend of mine recently gave me "Sanditon" as a gift. Have you read it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carmen,

      I haven't read Sanditon yet. I saw that PBS is showing an adaptation of it and will definitely watch that. Some of Masterpiece's adaptations are really good, but I love the BBC adaptations.

      Delete
  4. Sobia, I read A Wrinkle in Time for the first time two years ago, and I was so moved. I never ended up seeing the movie--is it good? Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My son and I saw the movie the day after we finished the book. He was so disappointed with it, he wanted to leave in the middle. On the other hand, my daughter (who is 14 years older than her brother) was with us as well and she loved the movie. She had also read the book, but when she was younger, so really didn't remember it.

      Delete
  5. Sobia,

    I also am a fan of Jane Austin- though, in all honesty I think that Pride and Prejudice and Zombies might be my favorite rendition of that novel... or I suppose retelling of it. The novel version of PPZ is mediocre- but funny in its way. My favoite movie about Jane Austin was Becoming Jane. I felt like it really had some great moments and insights into her life- for a movie.

    Have you read Home Fire by Kamia Shamsie? I was pretty blown away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read or seen PPZ. Honestly, when I saw the preview for the movie, I was like "WHATTTT???" So made it a point to not watch it. I also loved Becoming Jane. I like to watch movies of the authors I like. I have to agree with you in that it gives insight into what their life was like. Have you seen 'Lost in Austen?' It's a great time travel version where are modern day fan of PnP trades places with Elizabeth Bennet.

      I have not read Home Fire. Thanks for the suggestion.

      Delete
  6. I am the same way with books that become movies. If I haven't read the book first then I don't go see the movie! I feel bad if I do, ya know?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sabrina,

    I know exactly how you feel about not reading the book before watching the movie. My son finished 'Mockingjay' as we were driving to the theater to watch it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent profile! You have a variety of reading tastes and really engaged your classmates! I'm also a huge Jane Austen fan. I can't wait to see Emma next month!

    ReplyDelete